“Senegal have a magnificent team. There are young players, a lot of whom have played in France and now in England.”Having waited for the call that never came, Koulibaly was astounded to hear France coach Didier Deschamps cite his name in an interview on French television last year when asked about players who he was monitoring.“I was watching the programme without really paying attention and then I heard my name. He must have missed something. I don’t blame him for it,” said Koulibaly, who is now focused fully on helping the country of his roots.Runners-up in 2002, Senegal have never won the Africa Cup of Nations before.However, the presence of players such as Idrissa Gueye, Cheikhou Kouyate, Sadio Mane, Moussa Sow and Koulibaly in their squad means they are one of the favourites going into this year’s tournament in Gabon.In a Group B also containing much-fancied Algeria, Tunisia and Zimbabwe, Senegal should at least make the knockout rounds, something they failed to do in Equatorial Guinea two years ago.“Our common objective is to get past the first round,” admitted Koulibaly, who has shaken off an injury to make the squad, after an audience with President Macky Sall.Finishing ahead of Algeria would be no mean feat, and the sides will meet each other in a likely group decider in Franceville on January 23.The Fennecs of Algeria have a star-studded front line, but none of them will relish coming up against Koulibaly, a player revered at Napoli and described by club legend Diego Maradona as a “phenomenon”.After modest beginnings at Metz, the defender starred for Genk in Belgium, earning himself a move to Napoli in 2014 when Rafa Benitez was still in charge of the Italians.Koulibaly did not initially believe the Spaniard could possibly be interested in him, saying: “I thought it was a friend joking around.”But the move happened and the player’s stock has risen to such an extent that English Premier League leaders Chelsea have been linked with a mega bid of £50 million for his services.Nevertheless, his presence in Gabon allied with Napoli’s continuing involvement in the UEFA Champions League means any transfer will surely have to wait until the end of the season at least.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Kalidou Koulibaly has admitted he waited and waited for the call to come from France before choosing to play for Senegal, and does not regret his decision for one second.The powerful 25-year-old centre-back was born in France and represented the country of his birth at under-20 level, but he accepted the call from coach Aliou Cisse in September 2015 to help the Lions of Teranga qualify for the Africa Cup of Nations.“I waited for a long time for a call-up for Les Bleus,” says the Napoli star. “I know there was a possibility at the time of my arrival at Napoli, but I have made my decision now and I don’t regret it.
Michael Olugbode in MaiduguriThe United Nations has revealed that 6.2 million people are targeted in the crisis ridden North-east with aids by humanitarian organisations in 2019.It also said as a fallout of the crisis, $983 million is needed during the year to provide basic necessities to the victims of the crisis in the Northeast and Lake Chad region. A statement signed yesterday by the Head of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) Communications, Samantha Newport, lamented that the crisis in the Northeast continued to make many people homeless.According to the statement, “Millions of civilians continue to grapple with extreme adversity across North-east Nigeria and the rest of the Lake Chad region where a recent surge in violence displaced tens of thousands people, exacerbating an already dire humanitarian situation.“Top UN officials are calling for support to respond to a humanitarian crisis that is now in its tenth year. The UN and partners, in support of the governments of Nigeria and of countries hosting Nigerian refugees, simultaneously launched the 2019 to 2021 Humanitarian Response Strategy and the Regional Refugee Response Plan, respectively seeking $848 million and $135 million to continue to provide food, water, shelter and protection to the most vulnerable people in Nigeria and neighbouring Cameroon, Chad and Niger.“The Humanitarian Response Strategy also articulates a collective vision for the next three years of humanitarian action and marks the first time in Nigeria that humanitarian actors are adopting a multi-year approach.”The statement quoted UN Humanitarian Coordinator for Nigeria, Mr. Edward Kallon, to have said: “We must sustain the efforts made over the recent years to ensure that aids reach those who need them most. The decade-long conflict has brought immense suffering upon children, women, men, their families and communities. We have saved millions of lives, and as we strive to provide immediate response to new and existing humanitarian needs, we must also focus on addressing the causes of such untold suffering.”The statement further said: “Humanitarian organisations in Nigeria are targeting 6.2 million people who are hardest-hit by the crisis in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe States in the North-east region. Although aid groups targeted almost the same number of people in 2018, this year’s budget is around $250 million less than the previous year, based on the assessed needs and the realistic capacity to deliver aid. Last year, donors provided 67 per cent of the funds, or $700 million, enabling humanitarians to provide aid to more than 5.5 million people.“UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, seeks funding for the 228,500 Nigerian refugees who have fled into neighbouring Cameroon, Chad and Niger, pointing to a disturbing trend of events.”Also, the UNDP’s Regional Coordinator, Nana Oumou Touré-Sy while lamenting that “the continuing conflict in the Northeast further increases the vulnerability of refugees, IDPs, families and host communities already facing deep development challenges,” warned that “Together with humanitarian partners and governments, UNDP supports the comprehensive response to the refugee crisis by targeting weaknesses and vulnerabilities of refugees and host communities as a way to mitigate the risk of conflict between communities.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
POTENTIAL $3 MILLION MANDATORY PAYOUT SET FOR SATURDAY’S SINGLE TICKET RAINBOW PICK SIX JACKPOT AS SANTA ANITA STAGES BLOCKBUSTER 11-RACE CARD THAT WILL INCLUDE $1 MILLION SANTA ANITA DERBY SPECIAL EARLY FIRST POST TIME SET FOR 12 NOON, GRADE I, $600,000 BIG ‘CAP ALSO ON TAP ARCADIA, Calif. (April 5, 2019)–With a CHRB-approved mandatory payout on the table and the likelihood of a $3 million pool looming, there is a 20 cent Single Ticket Rainbow Pick Six Jackpot into Saturday at Santa Anita of $815,939.The popular wager, which allows players to cover 10 times as many horses per race than the original two dollar minimum Pick Six, generated $158,614 in “new” money wagered today, helping to create a total Rainbow Six pool of $938,243. The huge pool helped to provide a hefty pay-off of $9,413.60 on nine consolation tickets with six winners each.With an 11-race card on tap, Saturday’s Rainbow Six will be comprised of races six through 11, a sequence that will include the Grade I, $1 million Santa Anita Derby (race eight) and the Grade I, $600,000 Santa Anita Handicap (race 10).Special early first post time on Saturday is at 12 noon, with admission gates opening at 10 a.m.Approximate post time for race six is at 2:40 p.m. PT. For additional information, please visit santaanita.com or call (626) 574-RACE.
Majella O’Donnell has spoken about her refusal to accept that she had cancer.The 55 year old was speaking to DonegalTV before she was guest of honour at the North West Cancer Ball in the Silver Tassie Hotel. In a hugely revealing interview, Majella saus she is convinced a ‘higher power’ encouraged her to go on the Late Late Show and raise money to help others fight the disease.Simply click on the video to see the interview.DDTV: MAJELLA SAYS A ‘HIGHER POWER’ HELPED HER BATTLE CANCER was last modified: November 29th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Cancer BallDDTVdonegal tvMajella O’Donnell