夜上海论坛HL

first_img The first Canadian BSE case prompted the United States to ban imports of all Canadian cattle and beef products. The border was later reopened to meat from younger cattle, but live cattle and meat from older cattle are still banned. About 18,000 cattle were shipped into the United States from “the Alberta region” in 1997 and 1998. These cattle “could represent another group of higher risk animals,” in the view of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA), the report states. However, an age-distribution model for US cattle suggests that fewer than 3% (540) of them remain in US herds now. “This MBM source similarity is extremely difficult to dismiss or ignore,” the report says. The fourth cow was not clearly connected to MBM from the same renderer, but a link couldn’t be ruled out, the report says. All four cases occurred within a 280-mile-wide area of north-central Alberta. The one previous BSE case in North America—discovered in 1993 in a cow imported from the United Kingdom, where BSE was widespread—was in the same area. “Some of the data suggest that the Northwest region of the United States could be considered within a broadly defined movement area that could be at higher risk of exposure to BSE,” the report states. The report says that 29 cattle from the “birth cohorts” of the four BSE-infected cattle were shipped to the United States, and a total of about 18,000 Alberta cattle were sent to the United States in 1997 and 1998, the period when the four cattle were calves and probably contracted BSE by eating contaminated feed. The view that the northwestern United States may have an increased risk is based on the CFIA’s analysis of the flow of cattle and feed materials within Canada and from Canada to the United States before the BSE cases, the report explains. Shortly after the last two BSE cases surfaced, the USDA sent two technical teams to study the epidemiology of all four cases as well as Canada’s ban on feeding ruminant animal protein to ruminants (cud-chewing animals such as cattle, sheep, goats, and deer). May 11, 2005 (CIDRAP News) – The Pacific Northwest could have a higher risk of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) than the rest of the country because of past cattle imports from western Canada, where all four BSE cases in North America originated, the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) reported recently. Because cattle contract BSE by eating feed containing protein from infected animals, both the United States and Canada banned the use of ruminant protein in feed for ruminants in 1997. The report says the four infected cows were all born between Oct 5, 1996, and Mar 21, 1997—either before or shortly after the feed ban took effect. The team concluded that all four cows contracted BSE by eating contaminated feed early in their lives.center_img In a USDA news release about the report, John Clifford, deputy administrator of the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, said, “Our technical team has completed its review and found that Canada’s epidemiological efforts were not only appropriate but exceeded levels recommended by an international team of BSE experts. Canada’s animal identification program allowed for a successful, comprehensive epidemiological investigation.” That assessment is one of the findings in a USDA report on the causes and implications of the four BSE (mad cow disease) cases and on Canada’s epidemiologic investigation of them. The 27-page report was released Apr 29. “While this region has historically imported a substantial number of cattle from western Canada, and a small portion of high-risk meat and bone meal was shipped to the area, the U.S. feed ban and other mitigations have effectively minimized the risk of transmission or amplification of the BSE agent.” North America’s first BSE case in a native-born animal was identified in an Alberta cow in May 2003. The following December, the first American BSE case was found in a cow that had been imported into Washington state from Alberta. Two more cases were found in Alberta in January 2005. In tracing the birth cohorts of the four infected cows, investigators identified a total of 853 cattle that came from the same herds of origin and were born within a year before or after an infected cow. Most of those had already been slaughtered or were euthanized. Of 29 cattle that were believed to have been shipped to the United States, 18 were found and were either euthanized or confirmed to have been slaughtered, USDA says. Canadian investigators also determined that the Alberta renderer that linked three of the BSE cases shipped two loads of MBM to the United States in February 1997. US investigators traced this material further and found that none had been made into cattle feed; most of it was exported to Asia, and the rest was used in poultry feed. The report also says that BSE probably was introduced into Canada by cattle imported from the United Kingdom early in the British epidemic, between 1986 and 1988. Although the investigators didn’t find a single source of potentially contaminated feed connecting all four cases, they did find strong evidence that three of the cows ate feed containing meat-and-bone meal (MBM) that one Alberta rendering plant shipped to local feed mills on Feb 28, 1997. The MBM would have been produced before the feed ban took effect.last_img read more

first_img The defender is yet to feature in the Barclays Premier League for Albion after suffering a knee injury in pre-season but is in line to play against Hull in an under-21 friendly on Tuesday. Lescott, who moved on a free after leaving Manchester City in the summer, could be joined by fellow new boys Cristian Gamboa, Silvestre Varela and Sebastian Blanco who all lack fitness. A return would be a huge boost ahead of the Baggies’ home game with Everton on Saturday after centre-back Gareth McAuley limped out of Northern Ireland’s 2-1 win in Hungary on Sunday. “We’ve got an under-21 friendly here on Tuesday and I would love to be able to play players in that game who need to play. Ideally I would want to be including all of them,” head coach Alan Irvine told the club’s official site. “It is scheduled as an under-21 friendly but I think with Hull’s five signings on deadline day and us trying to get players bedded in, I would think it will end up being a game for a whole load of players that Steve (Bruce, Hull manager) doesn’t know very well and I don’t know very well. “It’s fairly star-studded but they need it, several have not done a pre-season. There’s a lot of players who need training and games and also get to need to get to know one other.” Georgios Samaras may also play after he lasted 45 minutes of Greece’s 1-0 Euro 2016 qualifier defeat to Romania on Sunday and James Morrison, who played in Scotland’s 2-1 loss to Germany as he continued his recovery from a knee injury, is pencilled in. Press Associationcenter_img Joleon Lescott will be given a chance to prove his West Brom fitness as he eyes a Baggies debut against Everton.last_img read more

first_img“Assessing the likelihood of smoke-induced interruptions is a bit like how we treat heat and rain,” tournament director Craig Tiley said.“The health of players, fans and staff is a priority at all times.”Visibility in Melbourne, which hosts the opening Grand Slam of the year this month, is less than 1km (0.62 miles) in some parts of the city and surrounding areas, according to Victoria’s Bureau of Meteorology.The air quality index in the city reached 213 on Monday, with a reading above 200 considered “very unhealthy”.Qualifying for the Australian Open begins on Tuesday, 14 January, with the main draw starting on 20 January.“We have experts who analyse all available live data as specific to our sites as possible and consult regularly with tournament officials and, in the case of heat and smoke, medical experts,” Tiley added.“We have access to real-time monitoring of air quality at all of our venues and are working closely with medical personnel and local experts onsite to ensure we have the best possible information available to make any decisions regarding whether play should be halted at any point.”There have been no smoke-related interruptions so far at the ATP Cup, which is taking place in Sydney, Brisbane and Perth, but this week’s Canberra challenger event was relocated more than 450km away to Bendigo and some football and basketball matches have been cancelled.Nick Kyrgios, Novak Djokovic and Ashleigh Barty have been among the tennis players who have pledged financial support to the relief fund.Australian Open organisers also announced plans to raise money, including staging an “AO Rally for Relief” with a group of leading players and a music event.“The inordinate loss of people, wildlife, stock, homes, schools and businesses is going to require an extraordinarily widespread effort to get these families and communities back on their feet,” Tiley said. “Our aim is for tennis to play a significant role where we can to help that recovery.”Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram BUSHFIRES FALLOUTAustralian Open matches could be suspended if air quality is too bad, organisers said after Melbourne reached “very unhealthy” levels amid bushfires.Fires in Australia have killed at least 24 people since September and millions of hectares of land have been scorched.last_img read more

first_imgThe began Sunday afternoon after police went to a home to check on an elderly woman whom relatives hadn’t seen for days. The woman was found dead, and her car was missing, Sanders said. Later in the day, an officer spotted the car at a gasoline station, pulled the driver over and was shot in the arm, police said. The officer, whose wound was not life-threatening, returned fire and shattered the window of the car the gunman was driving. The car took off and reports began arriving about 10 to 15 minutes later of shots fired at the shopping center. The man pulled into a parking space and fired at the cars on either side of him, killing two people, authorities said. He fired more shots, wounding at least two people, and then went inside the mall, Sanders said. Police did not say how the elderly woman died or if the gunman was a suspect in her death. But they did say they believed the events were connected. The mall, one of the city’s busiest shopping centers, was shut down, and officers went through each store to see if anyone else might have been involved, Sanders said. KANSAS CITY, Mo. – A man driving a dead woman’s car shot a police officer, then opened fire in a parking lot and a mall Sunday, authorities said. The officer is expected to recover, but the gunman killed two other people and wounded more before he was killed, authorities said. The chaos ended when police shot the gunman to death outside a Target store in the Ward Parkway Center in south Kansas City, police spokesman Tony Sanders said. The gunfire sent shoppers and employees scurrying for cover. Target employee Cassie Bradshaw, 19, of Kansas City was in a break room with two other people when they first heard shots. Then, her co-workers saw a man in his 50s with a rifle “shooting everywhere,” she said. “It sounded like maybe firecrackers at first, but then they got louder and louder and louder, and it sounded like someone shooting a gun,” she said. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more