ST JULIAN’S, Malta (AP):The hair is greyer, and the frame bulkier than in his footballing prime. But the player with the ball at his feet, standing in the late afternoon sun on a field near the Mediterranean Sea, hardly required ‘Platini’ emblazoned across his back for the selected onlookers at the private game to know it was the former France great in his comfort zone.In his third term as UEFA president, Michel Platini still seems to prefer to do much of his talking on the pitch, despite being the most powerful figure in European football and the favourite to be installed as Sepp Blatter’s FIFA successor in February.As FIFA was dragged further into the moral mire with the suspension of secretary general Jerome Valcke on Thursday, Platini maintained months of silence on the tumult as UEFA’s week-long gathering in Malta drew to a close yesterday. His renowned Gallic shrug met most questions about football politics when he emerged from the closed-door meetings.As Platini sat yesterday in a T-shirt and shorts sipping coffee with UEFA colleagues, shaded from the late summer heat near the hotel swimming pool, general secretary Gianni Infantino was left – once again – to be peppered with questions about beleaguered FIFA.”We played a football match here in Malta between the presidents and the secretary generals,” Infantino said at the media conference to close a week of meetings. “We agreed the one who loses the match should do the press conference.”For all the attempted quips, the Italian administrator did address the departure of his opposite number at FIFA.”We feel, of course, all very sad about the news coming on, almost on a daily basis (from FIFA),” Infantino said.The latest damaging episode unfolded Thursday after ticket sales agent Benny Alon, who has told journalists he had been a regular golf partner of Platini, alleged that Valcke had been prepared to profit personally from a deal for the black market trading of tickets to 2014 World Cup matches. Valcke denies having a deal or being offered money.
THEY may have fireworks around the globe celebrating 2016.But they don’t have the Northern Lights – we do.John McCandless was out ringing in the New Year in Inishowen and capturing these wonderful images. WHO NEEDS FIREWORKS? NORTHERN LIGHTS FIRE UP DONEGAL’S NEW YEAR’S EVE SKY was last modified: January 1st, 2016 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalnorthern lights
misery ‘It could have been me’ – Allardyce admits World Cup was tough to watch Neymar admits he isn’t worth the €222m PSG paid to sign him Why does Luis Suarez kiss his wrist when he celebrates a goal? Fallon d’Floor 3 The French giants triggered the 26-year-old Brazilian star’s €222million release clause to sign him from Barcelona last summer.Asked about his record move, Neymar told www.spox.com: “I’m not proud of the transfer fee, nor of the fact I’m the most expensive player ever.“That’s just money and nothing else. I cannot help it. Personally, I would have paid less for myself. World Cup latest on talkSPORT.com LU BEAUTY All eyes will be on the Brazil ace at the World Cup this summer Arsenal star Laurent Koscielny admits he didn’t want France to win World Cup Paul Pogba buys France World Cup winners specially designed rings You’re the one Dele Alli reveals pre-match rituals and lucky charms he has before matches But his first campaign was interrupted by injury and he has been strongly linked with a return to Spain after just one season at the Ligue 1 champions.Neymar is currently on World Cup duty in Russia, where Brazil will launch their latest bid for glory against Switzerland on Sunday evening. Neymar has admitted he is not worth the world-record £200million Paris Saint- Germain paid for him. diamond geezer NO JOY Learn the words for England’s catchy Gareth Southgate song A reminder to Liverpool fans about the very comical threat Neymar offers 3 3 SUPERSTITION “I’m proud that I’ve achieved my childhood goal. That was, and is, most important to me. As a player, you always have to show who you are and assert yourself.“Just referring to the transfer fee does not help you and says nothing about how good you really are.”The Brazilian superstar has been a sensation in Paris. He scored 28 goals in 30 appearances for PSG and was crowned the Ligue 1 Player of the Year. Good times Neymar is handed the Ligue 1 Best Player award by Brazil legend Ronaldo Watch every goal England scored at the 2018 World Cup
Sinn Fein’s Padraig MacLochlainn has said today’s Irish Times opinion piece from Fianna Fáil’s Michael McGrath is insulting to the Irish people.Deputy MacLochlainn said today: “It is unbelievable of a Fianna Fail spokesperson to tell the government to ease up on austerity. In fact it is insulting to the intelligence of the Irish people.“It was Fianna Fail who chose the road of austerity and defended it for years. Now, we are told they don’t believe it is the right course. They brought in the Troika and signed off on the surrender letter. “It is equally confusing to hear Michael McGrath speak about the need for investment. He calls the government’s inaction ‘a disgrace’. This is the same Fianna Fáil that argued against progressive and realistic stimulus plans that have been put forward by Sinn Féin for years.“Michael McGrath’s rhetoric is, as usual, short on specifics. Will he commit to scrapping the Family Home Tax like Sinn Féin has done? Struggling homeowners should not hold their breath.“According to Deputy McGrath, a smaller adjustment could make all the difference indeed for our ‘austerity-weary citizens’ – it is a pity that Fianna Fáil didn’t feel this way when they introduced €15bn of cuts when they greedily hung to power after they had lost all credibility.“Fianna Fail has every right to contribute to the budget debate but I call on them not to insult the Irish people’s intelligence by claiming to be against austerity.” MacLOCHLAINN ATTACKS FIANNA FÁIL OVER AUSTERITY was last modified: August 13th, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:MacLOCHLAINN ATTACKS FIANNA FÁIL OVER AUSTERITY
Mark McHugh lines out for Donegal in final against MonaghanDONEGAL manager Rory Gallagher has made one change for today’s Ulster Senior Football Championship final against Monaghan in Clones (thrown in 2 pm).Mark McHugh comes in for Martin O’Reilly making a double day for the McHugh family with Ryan also lining out for Donegal.But his dad and television pundit Martin McHugh is not backing the Dun na nGall men. He has just predicted a Monaghan win!!Donegal: P Durcan; P McGrath, N McGee, E McGee; R McHugh, K Lacey, F McGlynn; N Gallagher, M McElhinney; C Toye, O MacNiallais, Mark McHugh; P McBrearty, M Murphy, C McFadden. Subs: M McGinley, A Thompson, E Doherty, M O’Reilly, H McFadden, C McGinley, David Walsh, Declan Walsh, G McFadden, L McLoone, D O’Connor.Monaghan: R Beggan; D Mone, V Corey, R Wylie; C Walshe, F Kelly, K O’Connell; N McAdam, D Hughes; O Duffy, S Gollogly, S Carey; D Malone, K Hughes, C McManus.ULSTER SENIOR FOOTBALL FINAL TALE OF THE TAPE: HOW THE TEAMS WILL LINE OUT was last modified: July 19th, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
22 January 2014An exceptional 29.6-carat blue diamond has been discovered at the Cullinan mine in South Africa, the mine’s owner, Petra Diamonds, announced on Tuesday.“The stone is an outstanding vivid blue with extraordinary saturation, tone and clarity, and has the potential to yield a polished stone of great value and importance,” the company said in a statement.“Blue diamonds are among the rarest and most highly coveted of all diamonds, and the Cullinan mine is the most important source of blues in the world. This stone is one of the most exceptional stones recovered at Cullinan during Petra’s operation of the mine.”Located at the foothills of the Magaliesberg mountain range, 37 kilometres north-east of Pretoria, the Cullinan mine earned its place in history in 1905 with the discovery of the Cullinan diamond, the largest rough gem diamond ever found at 3 106 carats.This iconic stone was cut into the two most important diamonds that form part of the Crown Jewels in the Tower of London – the First Star of Africa, which is mounted at the top of the Sovereign’s Sceptre and which at 530 carats is the largest flawless cut diamond in the world, and the Second Star of Africa, a 317-carat polished diamond which forms the centrepiece of the Imperial State Crown.According to Petra Diamonds, the Cullinan mine frequently yields diamonds larger than 10 carats, and has produced over 750 stones weighing more than 100 carats, 130 stones weighing more than 200 carats, and around a quarter of all diamonds weighing more than 400 carats.“Cullinan is also renowned as the world’s most important source of blue diamonds, providing the collection of 11 rare blues displayed in 2000 at London’s Millennium Dome alongside the Millennium Star and which included the fancy vivid blue ‘Heart of Eternity’ (27 carats polished),” the company said.Petra Diamonds has interests in five producing mines in South Africa and one in Tanzania, and also maintains an exploration programme in Botswana.SAinfo reporter
As the iPad 2 wraps up its launch weekend, it sounds like analysts are revising their predictions about this being a successful launch to this being a very successful launch. No sales figures are in, although Apple was anticipated to sell half a million iPad 2s this weekend.But the good news for Apple isn’t just in the strong sales. It’s who’s buying these tablets. According to a survey of those in line for the iPad 2, researchers at Piper Jaffray found that 70% of customers were new to the iPad — they weren’t owners of the first generation device.That’s a notable figure as launch weekends are often driven by early adopters and those seeking upgrades. At the launch of the iPhone 4 last year, for example, just 23% of buyers were new to the iPhone platform.New to the iPad, But Not New to iOSThe survey was based on a poll of 236 people in line for the iPad 2. Of those, 47% said they were buying a 3G model. 41% said they were buying the 32 GB model, up from 32% who bought that capacity of the first iPad. Although many of these customers were new to the iPad, most were already owned Apple products. 65% said they owned an iPhone.According to Piper Jaffray’s Gene Munster, the research firm says they’re sticking with their estimates for a launch weekend with sales of 400,000 to 500,000 iPads 2s. That number is, of course, limited by stock not just by demand, as the iPad 2 sold out in most retail locations and online orders say they’ll now ship in 3-4 weeks.Will A Strong Launch Weekend Make This The Year of The iPad 2?Munster had forecast sales of 5.5 million iPads in the March quarter, and he now says he thinks those numbers are “likely conservative” based on the strong demand for the iPad 2. Analysts were more than just conservative with their early estimates on the sales of the first generation iPad, and many predicted that the device would only move a few million units. Apple sold 14 million.The new iPad is thinner and lighter and it boasts two cameras. It’s not a substantial upgrade, and if you own an iPad already you might really weigh whether it’s worth buying a new one. But if the Piper Jaffray figures hold true, it seems as though Apple has had a far bigger success on its hands by convincing new consumers to stand in line this weekend to buy an iPad 2. Related Posts 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market Tags:#Apple#web audrey watters Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai…
The government’s crackdown on doping in Indian sports continued as the National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) conducted raids at the Sports Authority of India’s (SAI’s) southern centre in Bangalore on Monday.The NADA team was searching the rooms of around 500 athletes currently training at the centre. They were expected to collect samples of the athletes’ food supplements as well as their urine and blood.The raids at the Bangalore centre come two days after a four-member NADA team searched hostel rooms at Patiala-based Netaji Subhas National Institute of Sports (NSNIS). It had collected 13 sets of food supplements and 27 urine samples during their raids in Patiala on Saturday. The results of the tests conducted on these samples were yet to come.The NADA action comes following the Union sports ministry’s strict stand against doping scandal in Indian athletics. Eight track and field athletes had tested positive for anabolic steroids recently following which Sports Minister Ajay Maken ordered an inquiry by former Punjab and Haryana High Court Chief Justice Mukul Mudgal.
AdvertisementThe most anticipating fight of the year took place on September 15 between middleweight kingpin Gennady Golovkin and Mexican superstar Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez. In an exciting fight that went full twelve round, Canelo knicked a close majority decision victory and established himself as the legitimate face of the middleweight division.Just like all mega fights, this fight also managed to generate a lot of media attention and also did successful pay-per-view numbers.Canelo vs GGG 2 is estimated to have done 1.1 million PPV buysIndustry sources estimate that last Saturday’s rematch between Saul Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin brought in between 1 million to 1.1 million pay-per-view buys on HBO on Linear TV, according to Lance Pugmire of the LA Times. Whereas, Kevin Iole of Yahoo Sports said that the PPV was in the range of 1 Million to 1.15 Million buys. It also sold 40,000 digital PPV and according to industry experts, it was a rock-solid number.Still no official @Canelo @GGGBoxing PPV number. I am hearing 1mm to perhaps as much as 1.15 mm. Pretty good sales in any event, but a bit lower than first fight. #CaneloGGG2— Kevin Iole (@KevinI) September 20, 2018 Advertisement My strongest PPV industry source places the @Canelo @GGGBoxing as the third bout in excess of 1 million since @FloydMayweather @mannypacquiao in ‘15 at right near 1.1 million buys…@GoldenBoyBoxing declines to reveal a number.— Lance Pugmire (@latimespugmire) September 21, 2018The PPV was priced at $84.99 which is $20 more than UFC PPV buys, but despite being so costly, it managed to break a million buys and will be considered a successful PPV event.However, when compared to PPV numbers of their last fight, it looks poor as the first fight sold 1.4 Million PPV buys, but the priced at $79.99. The fight also managed to sell tickets worth $27 Million, making it the third highest boxing gate of all time.Although the gate revenue from the rematch hasn’t been released yet, it’s expected that it will exceed well over the gate generated by the first fight.Also Read-Boxing: Canelo Alvarez to potentially return to the ring on Dec.15
2019 LS polls Lucknow, Jul 11 (PTI) With an eye on the 2019 Lok Sabha elections, the Yogi Adityanath government today earmarked in its maiden budget Rs 1,240 crore for Ramayan, Buddhist and Krishna circuits in the pilgrim cities of Ayodhaya, Varanasi and Mathura. The BJP government also allocated Rs 800 crore under the Prasad Yojana to develop infrastructural facilities in Ayodhya, Varanasi and Mathura. In a bid to boost cultural heritage in the state, the budgetary allocation for these circuits has been made under the Swadesh Darshan Yojana. In its Lok Kalyan Sankalp Patra (election manifesto), the BJP had promised to get a Ram temple built at Ayodhya under constitutional provisions if voted to power in Uttar Pradesh. “The party is firm on the Ram temple issue … Efforts will be made to ensure that Ram temple is constructed under the constitutional provisions,” BJP president Amit Shah had said while releasing the partys manifesto for the Assembly elections. “Law will be followed to get the temple built as soon as possible,” he had said. Besides, the budget granted Rs 200 crore to set up a cultural centre in Varanasi, the Lok Sabha constituency of Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The government has also decided to hold special programmes like Lok Malhar in Gorakhpur and Sawan Jhoola in Ayodhya. The budget also made provision for Krishna Sangrahalya to be set up in Mathura.It allocated Rs 25 crore for development of water sports at Ramgarh Taal in Gorakhpur, while it set aside Rs 10 crore for tourism development in Vindhyachal, Rs 5 crore for rural tourism development in Nagla-Chandrabhan in Mathura, and Rs 3 crore for organising Ramayana Conclave.advertisementIt also earmarked Rs 20 crore to construct Kailash Mansrovar Bhawan in Ghaziabad and Rs 500 crore for preparations of Ardha Kumbha Mela in Allahabad.The government set aside Rs 25 crore for helicopter services to promote tourism in the state.In addition, the government also laid out plans to organise monthly cultural programmes in various districts under Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyay Janm Shatabdi Samaroh.It earmarked Rs 135.26 crore for cultural programmes and set aside Rs 20 crore to build a modern auditorium at Gorakhpur, the native place of the chief minister.It allocated Rs 1 crore to set up of Geeta Shodh Sansthan in Mathura.The government also gave Rs 1 crore to provide subsidy to folk artistes for purchase of instruments for promoting folk arts. PTI NAV SMI GVS