Corning >> It’s been more than five years since the Corning Cardinals football team beat its neighbor and rival Orland Trojans and Friday night they were due.It took every second of the game, but the Cardinals didn’t disappoint the home crowd, taking 27-25 win on a Junior Gonzalez field goal at time ran out. The team rushed the field and mobbed Gonzalez at midfield as the grandstands roared.“They’ve been really strong but our kids battled hard,” said coach John Studer after the win. “It’s not …
Tottenham midfielder Oliver Skipp delighted with full Premier League debutby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveTottenham midfielder Oliver Skipp was delighted with his full Premier League debut for victory over Burnley.Christian Eriksen fired Spurs’ injury-time winner on Saturday.With Jan Vertonghen missing with a thigh injury and Eric Dier suffering from a virus, left-back Ben Davies stepped in at centre-back while 18-year-old Academy product Oliver Skipp was handed his full Premier League debut. Fellow Academy starlet TJ Eyoma was on the bench as defensive cover.Skipp beamed, “It’s a great result to get the last-minute winner and it’s topped off a great day for me! “I was happy to have gained the manager’s trust.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Arsenal teenager Martinelli stunned by Aubameyang: The guy on TV!by Freddie Taylora month agoSend to a friendShare the loveGabriel Martinelli admits he was starstruck when first meeting Arsenal team-mate Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.The 18-year-old kicked off his Arsenal career with a fine double in the 5-0 win over Nottingham Forest on Tuesday. Speaking after the game, the summer signing from Ituano revealed it was surreal meeting the famous striker.He told Globo Esporte: “It hadn’t sunk in yet. I arrived for lunch on the first day, I’m eating there, Aubameyang arrives and sits next to me, speaking Portuguese with me, ‘Tudo bem?’, trying to communicate. “You see, the guy so good, humble. I was like: ‘Man, Aubameyang, who I saw on TV, came to talk to me!””He’s also a guy who gave me a lot of support at the club, trying to communicate with me. I have to thank everyone at the club. They’re very nice people.”
TORONTO – Detour Gold Corp. says it has raised concerns with securities regulators about statements by a U.S. hedge fund.The mining company says it notified the Ontario Securities Commission of alleged “concerning and unlawful behaviour” by Paulson and Co., which it says is meant to pressure the board into a quick sale of the company.Paulson and Co. had earlier released a statement saying it had been informed that Detour Gold had been approached by a major gold mining company interested in potentially acquiring it.The investment firm says it will go ahead with efforts to try and replace the board of directors at Detour because of the company’s approach to the matter.Detour Gold says Paulson and Co.’s statements are false and misleading, and it does not have a sale process in place nor has it received offers to purchase its shares.Detour’s share price closed up $1.45 or 11.84 per cent to $13.70 after Paulson issued the statement about a potential offer.
CALGARY – Royal Dutch Shell’s name is being removed from a tiny 65-year-old employee credit union as its visibility in the Alberta oil and gas industry continues to shrink in the wake of the sale of most of its oilsands assets last year.The rebranding of the Shell Employees’ Credit Union as Spark the Energy Credit Union (a name chosen in part because the initials stay the same) was celebrated Thursday at its only branch on the main floor of Shell Canada’s downtown Calgary headquarters.It follows a vote in June in which individual members who own the credit union voted 96 per cent in favour of moving to a brand that would allow growth by being more inclusive of a broader Alberta energy worker market.Credit union president and chairman Adam Battistessa, who is also the government relations manager for Shell in Calgary, says the name change is directly linked to the oilsands sale because that event resulted in thousands of Shell employee members switching to work for the buyer, Canadian Natural Resources Ltd.In the $12.7-billion deal with Canadian Natural and Marathon Oil in 2017, Shell sold all but 10 per cent of its interest in the Athabasca Oil Sands Project mine in northern Alberta but retained ownership of its Edmonton-area Scotford refinery and chemicals plants.Earlier this month, it announced with its partners final approval to build the $40-billion LNG Canada liquefied natural gas export terminal at Kitimat, B.C.
OTTAWA — The new year brings with it tax changes at the federal level that will affect just about every Canadian, as well as small businesses.One of the first changes workers will see is an increase in Canada Pension Plan premiums coming off their paycheques — the first of five years of hikes to pay for enhancements to the pension plan.Employment Insurance premiums, on the other hand, will drop by four cents for every $100 of insurable earnings.Meanwhile, the small business tax rate is going down from 10 to nine per cent. But changes to how much so-called passive income a small business can hold are also coming into effect, which is expected to push some businesses into paying a much higher corporate tax rate.Also in 2019, low income workers can qualify for an increase in the Canada Workers Benefit. But they will have to wait until 2020 to receive the extra money.The federal government’s new carbon pricing system will also come into effect in provinces that don’t have carbon pricing mechanisms of their own, resulting in higher costs for fossil fuels by April, and direct rebates to partly offset the increased costs.Conservative Opposition Leader Andrew Scheer is already gearing up to make it an issue leading to the October federal election, calling 2019 the year of the carbon tax.The Canadian Press
An economic development organization for south central Indiana has created a position to attract defense business investment in the region and raise the profile of Naval Surface Warfare Center, Crane Division locally and nationally.Next week, Matt Craig, who had been a deputy technical director at Crane, will become the director of Crane community support for Radius Indiana, reported Inside Indiana Business.“Crane is vitally important to our local economy, and it is also indispensable to our military and our country. The director of Crane community support will help ensure that the public is well informed on the impact and opportunities the naval installation brings to our area,” said Becky Skillman, CEO of Radius Indiana.Craig, who retired from Crane following a 30-year career, will work with the partnership’s business development staff to increase research opportunities and investment in the region, and collaborate with its defense and national security council, the Southern Indiana Business Alliance and the Indiana Office of Defense Development.“The value of military installations is continually assessed by the Department of Defense, and on a local level it is imperative that we understand how that value is determined and how it can be enhanced,” said Craig. Dan Cohen AUTHOR
WILMINGTON, MA — Here are highlights of the Wilmington Police Log for Thursday, April 11, 2019:Police came across a man sleeping in a vehicle in the Lucci’s parking lot. Police gave him information for a hotel in Woburn and sent him on his way. (1:23am)A Forest Street resident wanted it logged that someone threw a black trash bag onto her lawn. (10:58am)A passerby reported a male hanging over the edge of the bridge on Lake Street looking at the tracks. Police responded. Juvenile was just trying to take photos of the train. (3:29pm)A realtor for a property on Veranda Avenue states that people are posting false rental advertisements and inviting renters to the property. (3:41pm)A red 2019 Mazda 4D struck a Verizon pole at Marie Drive and Woburn Street. No injuries. Vehicle towed. (4:53pm)A Suncrest Avenue caller found a bullet inside his Amazon package, which appears to have been opened. Police took possession of the bullet. (7:04pm)(DISCLAIMER: This information is public information. An arrest does not constitute a conviction. Any arrested person is innocent until proven guilty.)Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedPOLICE LOG for August 5: Driver Throws Beer Bottles; Syringe Found; Woburn Man Issued Summons; Texting While DrivingIn “Police Log”POLICE LOG for September 5: Train Conductor Helps Locate Missing Puppy; Rented Trucks Not Returned To UHaulIn “Police Log”POLICE LOG for August 20: Wilmington Man Arrested; Car vs. Tree; Concession Stand VandalizedIn “Police Log”
Comments Share your voice TV and Movies Digital Media 2:27 Tags What’s new to stream in April 2019 Netflix Now playing: Watch this: 5 Tuesday’s report comes after some, including legendary director Steven Spielberg and several theater chains, have said Netflix-distributed films should count as “made for TV movies” that contend for Emmy awards, not Oscars. Critics say the company only puts movies into cinemas as “token” screenings purely to qualify for awards like the Oscars. Netflix won big at the Oscars this year, taking home four awards in total for Roma and a documentary short. Stay tuned for whatever comes out of that meeting of Academy leaders this month. First published April 2, 12:59 p.m. PT.Update 1:21 p.m. PT: Adds statement from an Academy spokesperson. Netflix film Roma took home three awards at the Oscars this year. Getty Images The US Justice Department is concerned that potential rule changes by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences may hurt Netflix and other streaming services’ eligibility for the Oscars, according to a report from Variety on Tuesday. Changing Academy rules to exclude Netflix and others may raise antitrust issues and violate competition law, the agency reportedly warned in a March 21 letter to Academy CEO Dawn Hudson.”In the event that the Academy — an association that includes multiple competitors in its membership — establishes certain eligibility requirements for the Oscars that eliminate competition without procompetitive justification, such conduct may raise antitrust concerns,” Makan Delrahim, the chief of the DOJ’s antitrust division, reportedly wrote.The Academy acknowledged receipt of the letter but said little beyond that.”We’ve received a letter from the Department of Justice and have responded accordingly,” said a spokesperson of the Academy in an email statement. “The Academy’s Board of Governors will meet on April 23 for its annual awards rules meeting, where all branches submit possible updates for consideration.” Neither the DOJ nor Netflix immediately responded to requests for comment.
This combination of file pictures created on 08 May, 2018 shows Michelle Manning Barish (L) on 03 May, 2016 in New York, attorney general of New York Eric Schneiderman (C) on 12 April, 2018 in New York City and producer Tanya Selvastram on 20 February, 2014 in New York City. Photo: AFPNew York state’s top prosecutor, a public champion of the #MeToo movement, resigned on Monday hours after being accused by The New Yorker magazine of physically assaulting four women.It was an abrupt fall from power for Eric Schneiderman, the New York attorney general and a Donald Trump opponent whose office had launched multiple legal challenges against the Republican administration.”In the last several hours, serious allegations, which I strongly contest, have been made against me,” Schneiderman said in a statement.”While these allegations are unrelated to my professional conduct or the operations of the office, they will effectively prevent me from leading the office’s work at this critical time. I therefore resign my office, effective at the close of business on 8 May.”Two of the women spoke to the magazine on the record, alleging that Schneiderman repeatedly hit them, often after drinking, frequently in bed and never with their consent.Both say they sought medical attention after having been slapped hard across the ear and face, and also choked, the magazine said.The New Yorker said none of the women classified the behavior as consensual.Earlier, Schneiderman issued a statement denying that he had assaulted anyone or that he had ever engaged in non-consensual sex.”In the privacy of intimate relationships, I have engaged in role-playing and other consensual sexual activity,” he said.- Nothing ‘as despicable’ -Schneiderman is the latest powerful man to fall in the wake of the avalanche of sexual misconduct allegations from women that have poured forth since the Harvey Weinstein scandal broke late last year and effectively ended the Hollywood movie producer’s career.In February, Schneiderman sued The Weinstein Company for failing to protect its employees from the disgraced mogul despite multiple complaints from staff.”We have never seen anything as despicable as what we’ve seen right here,” Schneiderman said then.He had also been instructed by New York Governor Andrew Cuomo to review a 2015 decision by the Manhattan district attorney not to prosecute Weinstein over allegations of assault.One of the women named in The New Yorker story described her experiences with Schneiderman as awful.Michelle Manning Barish said he slapped her after they had been drinking.”It was horrendous,” she told the magazine.”It just came out of nowhere. My ear was ringing. I lost my balance and fell backward onto the bed.”I sprang up, but at this point there was very little room between the bed and him. I got up to try to shove him back, or take a swing, and he pushed me back down. He then used his body weight to hold me down, and he began to choke me. The choking was very hard. It was really bad. I kicked. In every fiber, I felt I was being beaten by a man,” she said.After the allegations against Schneiderman emerged, fellow Democrat Cuomo urged him to resign.”My personal opinion is that, given the damning pattern of facts and corroboration laid out in the article, I do not believe it is possible for Eric Schneiderman to continue to serve as attorney general,” Cuomo said.Schneiderman “has made a career railing against this type of abuse. Yet apparently he intends to revictimize these courageous women who have come forward by pulling out that age old sexist trope that they wanted it,” said Debra Katz, a lawyer for Manning Barish.